LinkedIn Facebook YouTube

Frequently Asked Questions

Here, we try to answer some of our current and prospective customers most frequently asked questions about insurance. If we don't answer your question or you need more information, give us a call or email us.

General FAQ’s

Q: What do I do if I have a claim?

A: First off, don't panic. The experienced, compassionate agents with Unland are here to help you through this as efficiently as possible. Call to report your claim during normal business hours (8:00 a.m. -5:00 p.m. Mon.-Fri.).  Claims must be submitted via phone. Email contact will not constitute as notice of a claim. If you need to report a claim after business hours, please contact your carrier's 24-hour claims service.


Q: Why do I need insurance, anyway?

A: For starters, some types of insurance, such as vehicle insurance and homeowners insurance, are required by state law or by institutions, such as your mortgage company.

You need insurance to protect yourself and your family against the things in life for which you cannot prepare or prevent: theft, severe weather damage, car accidents, unemployment, health problems, even death. Contact an agent to help determine how much coverage you need.


Q: How is the cost of insurance determined?


  • Type of car
  • Age of driver(s)
  • Location of home and length of commute
  • Driving and claims history


  • Building age and type
  • Claims history
  • Renovations
  • Heating system type
  • Roof type and age
  • Foundation condition


  • Age
  • Overall health
  • Risky behaviors
  • Prior medical treatments
  • Prescriptions

Q: Are there ways to reduce my insurance costs?

A: We offer discounts and premium reductions for reasons such as multiple policies, a good driving record, high student grades (high school through one-year post-college), membership in certain organizations and a high credit score.


Personal FAQ’s

Q: Can I get a discount if I get my vehicle and homeowners insurance combined?

A. Smart thinking. Unland Insurance can save you more than 30% off the total cost if you combine your policies through Unland.


Q: When should I buy life insurance?

A: When you get married, when you have a child, when life happens, before life happens. As with any type of insurance, you never know when you will need it, but you can't afford not to have it. Upon your passing, life insurance helps your loved ones cover expenses such as funeral costs, outstanding debt, mortgage payments and tuition. Give them peace of mind.


Q: How do I avoid cancellation of my auto insurance policy?

A: Just as you may think: Be the best driver you can be. The most effective way to prevent an insurance company from canceling your policy is to keep your driving record free of accidents, tickets and moving violations.


Q: If I loan my car to a friend or family member, will my car insurance cover them in case of an accident?

A: It will. Liability, comprehensive and collision coverage is connected to your vehicle, not to you. Your vehicle insurance provides the key coverage for injury and damage if someone else is driving the car when a crash occurs.


Q: My son just got his learner's permit. Does he need car insurance to drive?

A: Yes. He'll need to be added to your car insurance policy. The law says all drivers must carry insurance. Once he's 18, he can get his own insurance if you two prefer.


Q: What does a homeowner’s insurance policy cover?

A: Homeowner policies cover two key areas: property and liability. Property insurance protects your home and your possessions. Personal liability insurance covers any money you must legally pay to someone for actions caused by your property, or you or your family members.


Q: I rent. Doesn't my landlord's insurance provide coverage of my belongings in case of theft or damage?

A: The property owner's insurance only covers the building -- not the tenant's belongings -- in most cases. Renter's insurance is available for as low as $100 per year, a pretty wise investment.


Commercial FAQ’s

Q: Why do I need commercial coverage?

A: First off, it's required by Illinois state law. Beyond that, business owners need commercial insurance coverage to protect themselves, their employees, and their business's success.  The chance that you could suffer a loss begins on the first day you open for business. Fire, flood, theft, injury -- the risks are numerous. Strong insurance coverage insulates you from these risks. Just like your home and your vehicle are protected from loss, damage and liability, your business needs to be protected, too.


Q: What types of property do I need to insure?

A: Property types include:

  • Buildings and other structures
    (owned or leased)
  • Furniture, equipment and supplies
  • Inventory
  • Machinery
  • Money and securities
  • Leased equipment
  • Building improvements
  • Computers and other technology
  • Valuable papers, books and documents
  • Company vehicles and construction equipment
  • Signs, fences and other outdoor property
  • Records of accounts receivable
  • Intangible property
    (good will, trademarks, etc.)

Q: I run a business out of my home. Won't my homeowner’s insurance cover any business-related claims?

A: Yes, but it's very often not enough. Loss of business property in the house is usually reimbursed up to $2,500, and business property lost or damaged away from the home is reimbursed up to $250. Even if your business is small, these limits simply may be too low to cover everything, from equipment to materials.

Also of note: A standard homeowner's policy does not include business liability coverage, so if someone was injured at your business or by using your product, you would be extremely vulnerable in the event of a lawsuit. You could lose everything.


Q: What can I do to lower my insurance premiums?

A: Here are some suggestions that will lower insurance rates and protect your business from risk:

  • Hire an outside consultant, or a risk manager, to examine your business for any safety or environmental regulations you may not have been aware of or overlooked.
  • Keep a second set of company records off-site, such as with your Unland agent, your accountant or at home.
  • Make sure your employees have good driving records and are properly training on how to use required safety equipment.
  • Ensure there is adequate lighting.
  • Keep electrical wiring, stairways, carpeting, flooring, elevators and escalators in good repair.
  • Install a sprinkler system, smoke and fire alarms, and adequate security devices.
  • Keep only a small amount of cash in the register.

To lower insurance premiums, you also can consider raising your deductible. However, the flip side of lower premium payments is that in the event of a loss, you will pay more out of pocket. Be careful not to raise it so high that you cannot cover it should a loss occur.

Unland Wealth Strategies
Unland Home Office: 2211 Broadway, Pekin, IL 61554 | (309) 347-2177 or (800) 747-3241 
Macomb Office: 127 S. Side Square  Macomb, Illinois 61455 | (309) 837-0609
East Peoria Office: 201 Clock Tower Drive, East Peoria, IL 61611 | (309) 699-3938
An Affiliate of Your Hometown Community Banks
Trusted Choice